Ideal Donations for the
Can. You. Read. Festival
The Can. You. Read. Festival is a targeted foodraiser. The idea is to specifically collect canned proteins for distribution;
canned fish (tuna, salmon, mackerel, sardines)
canned meat (ham, corned beef, chicken, turkey)
beans (e.g. lentils, chick peas, navy beans, pinto beans)
nut butters e.g. (peanut butter, almond butter)
canned soups and stews containing at least one protein source
Here are some things to consider when selecting your donation:
1) Please check expiry dates. Products that are past their "best before" or "expiry" dates cannot be accepted.
2) Please check labels for added sugar. Many food bank clients suffer with medical conditions. Diabetes is common. An astonishing number of packaged food products contain added sugar, which severely limits the number of food bank clients who can use it.When choosing nut butters, soups or stews, please look for and avoid products that have been sweetened. Remember, sugar goes by as many as 61 names! Some common ones are glucose, fructose, sucrose, dextrose, corn syrup, and barley malt. Here's a link to learn more.
3) Please do not bring dented cans to the festival. A can that is dented may allow for bacteria to enter, and food contamination could result. As such, dented cans cannot be accepted. Please also exercise caution in transporting your donations to the event.
4) Please do not bring products other than canned proteins. While donations are always welcome, our focus is on proteins for this festival. Feel free to drop off your other donations at the Canadian Red Cross Mobile Food Bank (21 Randolph Ave. ) during regular business hours.
5) More is more! Please bring as many donations of canned proteins as you are able, Again, the more donations you bring, the more books you will take home with you!